Children’s Sport Participation and Physical Activity (CSPPA) study
SCC Third year & Transition year students will participate in this study. A 35min online survey will be administered during PE class next week. Hard copies of the informed consent form will be distributed on Monday next. Please read the following info:
Parent/Guardian Information Sheet
Please read the below information:
• Your child’s school is involved in a physical activity study called the Children’s Sport Participation and Physical Activity (CSPPA) study.
• CSPPA 2022 is the third edition of this research study, with CSPPA having taken place previously across Ireland in 2010 and 2018.
• CSPPA is an all-island research project that monitors levels of participation in physical activity, physical education and youth sport amongst children from 10 – 19 years old. Its results are used to inform policy and practice, with the aim of increasing physical activity participation levels. Now, more than ever, it is vital that we monitor and understand young people’s engagement in physical activity, physical education and sport, in order to support their physical health, and mental health and wellbeing.
• CSPPA 2022 will be carried out by the University of Limerick, Dublin City University, University College Cork and Ulster University.
• CSPPA 2022 is funded by Sport Ireland and Healthy Ireland and supported by the Department of Education.
• For this study, your child will be asked to complete a physical activity questionnaire that will take approximately 35 minutes. Your child will fill out the questionnaire with the help of their teacher
• Your child can stop being part of this study any time they want to. They can let you, or their teacher know and they will not have to take part.
• All of the information your child gives will be completely confidential. Your child’s identity will not be revealed in any publication or presentation arising from the project. This will be within the limitations of the law. It is possible for data to be subject to subpoena, freedom of information claim or mandated reporting by some professions.
• If you have any questions about the study you can contact one of the researchers listed below.
Primary investigators and contact details:
Catherine Woods, University of Limerick, 061-202370, email@example.com / Kwok Ng, University of Limerick, firstname.lastname@example.org / Sarahjane Belton, Dublin City University, 01-7007393, email@example.com / Úna Britton, Dublin City University, firstname.lastname@example.org / Paul McFlynn,Ulster University, +44 28 7012 4615, email@example.com / Wesley O’Brien, University College Cork, 021-4902319, firstname.lastname@example.org
Informed Consent Form
Project Title: Children’s Sport Participation and Physical Activity (CSPPA 2022)
Investigators: Prof Catherine Woods (UL), Dr Sarahjane Belton (DCU), Dr Wesley O’Brien (UCC), Dr Marie Murphy, Dr Paul McFlynn (UU)
Introduction to the study:
Physical activity has been shown to be extremely beneficial to youth, however, in order to develop effective physical activity programmes for young people, it is important that researchers understand what influences them to become and remain active.
During the research project:
• Your child will be asked to complete a physical activity questionnaire. This will take place during normal school hours, and will take about 35 minutes to complete. The questionnaire will ask them about their lifestyle and their views on physical education, physical activity and youth sport. These questions have been used with other young people.
• All information gathered will be treated in the strictest of confidence. Your child will not be asked to put their name on this questionnaire, and your child’s identity will not be revealed in any publication or presentation arising from the project. Confidentiality of information provided can only be protected within the limitations of the law. It is possible for data to be subject to subpoena, freedom of information claim or mandated reporting by some professions.
Please read Option 1 and Option 2 below and complete as appropriate
Option 1: Child to be included in the study
I have read and understood the information in this form. I have read and explained the information in the form to my child. The researchers have answered my questions and concerns, and I have a copy of this consent form. I understand that all children, including my child, are included in this study.
ACTION: No further action necessary. Please file this consent form for your own records.
Option 2: Child to be removed from the study
I have read and understood the information in this form. I have read and explained the information in the form to my child. The researchers have answered my questions and concerns, and I have a copy of this consent form. I request that my child is not included in the study. I understand that my child will not be penalised in any way for doing this.
Name in Block Capitals:
Childs Name in Block Capitals:
ACTION: To advise the research team of your decision, please sign and return this form to your Child’s teacher for attention of the CSPPA Research Team.