Brief Overview:

Leaving Certificate Chemistry aims to provide a relevant course for students who will complete their study of Chemistry at this level while, at the same time providing a foundation course for those who will continue to study Chemistry following completion of their leaving certificate.

The syllabus is for students in the senior cycle of post primary education and is assessed at higher and Ordinary level.

Main areas of study: The syllabus consists of about 70 % pure Chemistry; the remaining 30 % deals with the Social and applied aspects of Chemistry.

Practical work is an integral part of the study of Chemistry.  Students carry out 29 mandatory experiments. Practical work is examined through the medium of the written paper.

The course can be broken down as follows:

Periodic table and Atomic structure

Chemical Bonding

Stoichiometry, formulae and equations

Fuels and Heats of Reaction

Rates of Reaction

Organic Chemistry

Environmental Chemistry

Industrial Chemistry

Link to syllabus:



Chemistry live textbook and workbook  ( Folens).

Other required materials:

Casio Scientific calculator

Laboratory notebook ( Folens ).

Formulae and tables booklet

Safety glasses

Useful websites and online resources: